Camp Yonahlossee was founded in 1922 by Mrs. A. P. Kephart as a summer camp for girls. The camp was the female counterpart to Camp Yonahnoka located nearby in Linville, North Carolina. In 1954 the camp was sold to Mr. and Mrs. George M. McCord and Mrs. Agnes Jeter. The camp's primary focus was outdoor recreation with programs including horseback riding, archery, rifle shooting, swimming, sailing, and fencing. Crafts and dance were also taught at the camp. The camp closed in the 1980s and became a resort focused on equestrian activities.
Processing was recently completed on AC.687: Camp Yonahlossee Collection, 1925-2002, undated. The collection will be available for research in the Dougherty Reading Room.
Image from AC.687: Camp Yonahlossee Collection, 1925-2002, undated.